Well, I'm not sure about the part in the quote block , especially with all the debate over politics and the CF lately. But I do think you're right about rebuilding the lighthouse.

I'd love to see it rebuilt with all the existing parts just as much as all of you would. But looking at the photos, I don't know if it's possible.

I think that, at the very, very least, the second storey and up will have to be separated from the first storey, which is beyond repair. Maybe, if they just separated it right now and laid the top down next to the light, there would be a chance. The first floor isn't even worth saving - it's basically a wall and a stairwell.

The second storey seems repairable, even if it's not in great shape now. The tower and lantern are both seemingly tip-top. It's really just the first floor.

My thought for here is the same as Cape St. George - take the pieces, put them into storage, and deal with them after the more important parts of NO are back on track - people's houses, fundamental businesses, etc. Once NOLA is able to operate as a city again, take the lighthouse, build a new first storey, and rebuild the original light on top.

I don't know if it's COMPLETELY hopeless...but if there's any way that they can get a crane and a couple of guys with saws over there, they can at least put the top of the light down right next to its original site right now.

Of course, two things might be wrong with my "master plan" - 1, I know diddly squat about construction. For all I know, the light could be a goner, no hope. 2, with the state NOLA is in right now, who knows if they even have the equipment available to fix it.

This is going to be interesting to watch. But no matter what, I think New Orleans needs to have a New Canal Lighthouse, whether it's the original or a replica. I guess it's one of those solidarity-pride things.