Referring to this discussion about the sad state of New Canal Light

Have you LOOKED at those photos?

New Canal is way beyond repair or restoration. The only hope is the building of a REPLICA today. Perhaps some of the clapboard or trim might be put in place once a new bulding is built as a token.

What's left of the light can only serve today by having its dimensions taken and, while it is being disassembled, some of the building techniques studied can be better seen in order to rebuild the replica in the same way.

Of course like all else that needs to be built in the aftermath of the twin damsels of destruction (Katrina and Rita), it needs to be constructed stronger and on more protected grounds.

With so much else to do in the Gulf Area (ours and the other one in the mideast), do we have the resources (spiritual and financial) to take on a project that replaces an 'obsolete' non-functioning building? West Rigolets was left to rot and die. Why not just let New Canal do the same?

With the 'Lighthouse Community' getting behind the project, it could happen.

Should it? Why? How should it be paid for?

[At this point in my original post, I ranted about some political issues which I've self-deleted but which are referenced by the next two member posts. I left the title the same.]