I agree that Harbor lights probably made a bad decision in increasing the edition size to 10,000 and would like this to be cut back by a few thousand. But I also think that it is a good decision, and their choice, to retire pieces early. I feel that pieces should not only be limited in quantity produces, but I also feel that they should only be available only for a limited period of time. There are plenty of lighthouses to produce that will keep the shelves full, without having a certain group remain around forever.

What happens if a piece sits on a shelf forever. The seller has an inventory they can't move. Their only choices are discounting the item, which many people feel is not a good option, or just let it take up room and cost them storage and display space as well as carrying cost. They obviously won't order more pieces, thus Y&A can't close out the line, and finally the secondary market, which so many people are worried about, can't kick in. So we have an orphan that becomes relegated to the back room, instead of letting the secondary market determine it's fate.

I say let the market determine what is popular and what is not. If a piece sells quickly and includes 10,000 peices it will still be worth more than a piece that only has 7,100 pieces, yet takes 10 years to sell that many. People will buy what they like and want both from retailers and from secondary sources. IMHO HL should have both the right and duty to set the original size of the edition, and the length the item should remain on the primary market. I say go for the plan of setting a certain number of years for a item to remain available and see what buyers will do. I think that not much will change as far as sales and value.