Quote:
Is a 63' Corvette in mint condition worth $75 for scrap metal? after all it's just an old car...
If we were strictly talking scrap metal, Mark, you would be hard pressed to get $75 for the scrap metal 1963 Corvette (fiberglass car).

Quote:
"ask the collector who paid $2700 for a Coquille or $5000 for a CH1"

fools, fools, fools

We are talking a $40 piece of painted resin here.
It's called expendable cash, Lightkeeper. If you got it, and you can buy something that makes you smile, then do it! I'm sure everyone who purchased a Coquille LE or a CH-1, figured they could recoup a good portion of their initial investment and maybe even make a buck or two. Even if they sold them at a moderate loss, they will always have the memories of owning one of the few coveted greats from Harbour Lights. I'm sure people who part with their old classic car, gun, jewelry, or whatever would feel the same way.

Quote:
Believe it or not there are still some collectors who like the older lights just the way they are. They show a valid part of the history of Younger and Associates and don't need to be fixed.
I'm with you on this point, JJ! Last Fall, I dug the old pieces out of my storage area and put about 25 or so in my main display curio. I had forgotten about them when I was caught up with the great detail on the newer pieces. You cannot deny how far Harbour Lights has come with detail on their newer releases. They are absolutely marvelous! BUT, ....I say BUT...I have to say I have a lot of those new detailed pieces sitting in their boxes in storage why the older, simpler, and allegedly less desireable old pieces grace the shelves of my main curio. I must say I've gone full circle with my collecting of HL's and have returned to where it all started, HL101-HL149.

Quote:
Hey, we have over 1,500 members here. We can't all agree. That would make this one BOOOORING place. I think that VERY limited runs might even help BOOST the market. The supply and demand will be more balanced. People could start to scramble for the new lights, and the prices could go higher on the Secondary.
Hey Greg,... We can always agree to disagree with the varied number of personalities that visit the Forums. New opinions are always welcomed, contrary or not. Personally, I say leave well enough alone. Right now there is no need to re-release a re-release. The only people who would like that are those who collect every available model of a particular light. If people cannot afford an original, well let them buy a GLOW. If the GLOW isn't made yet, it probably will be in the future. Like all committed collectors, I hope the downward spiral of HL prices will someday reverse itself. I have no intentions of being buried with all my collectibles. My children (can you call a 35 and 28 year old children?) show no interest in carrying on the tradition of collecting HL's, storing hundreds of pieces in boxes, dusting curios, cleaning curios, spending $1000 plus each year on new pieces with limited space to put them. Whew! Keeping a full collection is bad enough but then I added a ton of doubles and triples and whatever. Sooner or later, something has got to give.

Quote:
I give it a resounding NO!!! . That is the one sure way to destroy the existing secondary market as we know it today for the Limited Editions that are still high. The GLOWS have already done a job on the secondary market so as far as I'm concerned the existing GLOWS, the "new lighted GLOWS" and reintroduction of limited editions for Regionals, etc. is quite enough ...
Rich, ...I have a one word answer regarding your post... DITTO

Quote:
There is really no secondary market to speak of for Harbour Lights and basing my collecting preferences on the hope that it might turn around is a lost cause in my opinion.
Tim,...You are partially right. The well-known Secondary Dealers of the past are gone, but not forgotten. Prices are definitely lower than ever and a secondary market person as a buyer is doing well, but as a seller it basically stinks. The secondary market is still a reality. Check out the New Marketplace here at the CF. Check out eBay when those older rare pieces appear. People are still willing to buy certain pieces while there are other pieces you can't generate any interest at any price. If you believe in keeping the flame, then you have faith.

Enough said for now...

smile Bob smile