From the defender and explainer of all things Y and A...

Quote:
What would happen, do you suppose, if David Winter came out with "This Wee Whimsical English Cottage 'o Mine?" Or Hummel came out with "Zis little Fraulein of Meine?" I think collectors would go through the roof. I say this without a lot of knowledge about the collectible industry, but there must be a reason why these two *collectible* companies stay focused on their core competency.

Not good examples, Bill. David Winter cottages were introduced by John Hine & Co. They went bankrupt and the line is now one of the "Enesco" lines. You know them. They market Preciousmomentsmarysmoomoosmickey&cobeatrixpotterlilliputlanecherishedteddiesandmore.

And you like Berta Hummel's characters? You could always find the most popular figures in three sizes. I suppose that doesn't dilute their line in your eyes? There are now a choice of lines but there's no doubt the profit margins on these pieces are WAY above Harbour Lights. Try finding any Hummels for under $150 -- even the little ones.

Quote:
I no longer recognize the Harbour Lights company [that I] I discovered in the summer of 1996. TLLOM will end up on the same shelves as the LE's and the GLOW's. Just what we need...to dilute the line even more... ...but I'm also upset because the implied promise they made to collectors in 1991 has been brutally broken...

I'm looking at the 1991 introductory brochure. "Affordable fine art hand-numbered limited editions" it says on the cover; that still describes the core of the line. Inside copy includes "Handmade and handpainted by skilled craftsmen." Except for the now politically incorrect 'craftsmen' that still holds true no matter whether you're talking LEs, GLOWs, or LLOM. Another copy bit: "Whether you select one piece or the entire collection, Harbour Lights will be a valuable addition to your personal treasures." Is there some implied promise that they will only make LEs? Had you bought the entire collection in 1991, the cost would have been about $1,000. That would have included an Original Cape Hatteras ($5,000), Burrows OR ($1,700), Coquille River ($2,900), and perhaps Split Rock MI ($3,600). 4 of 17 with a net value of about $13,000.

You and I found Harbour Lights about the same time - summer of '96 - but GLOWs were available starting in 1994 with Cape Hatteras. Perhaps it was your misunderstanding of what you were seeing.

Quote:
Sure, I envy them because they're probably richer than skunks...
...The[y] broke their own ground rules and a good deal of my trust in the process. Damn good thing their product is so nice.

I don't envy them because of their wealth -- I have no knowledge of wealth. I envy them because they started with very little other than an idea and managed to create through hard work and perserverance a collecible line with thousands of devoted followers nationwide, raising the collective consciousness of the importance of lighthouses -- while still remaining a family owned and operated business.

"Richer than skunks"? I'm not sure why you think skunks are rich, Bill, but I'd say any riches they have are well-deserved. From my observations they have shared the 'wealth' and continue to share whatever wealth Harbour Lights has brought them widely, benefiting lighthouses and charitable groups.

They don't owe us any accounting of their privately-owned business.

And if your trust is broken, but you're still buying, then your trust doesn't seem all that important to you.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-24-99).]