Having read Moby's post about approaching 100 LEs in his collection, I started thinking about what it means to have a 'serious collection'. Certainly you can have a serious collection and be dedicated to collecting even if you have just 1 or 10 or 50. But once you reach 100, (or alot) you do have quite an expanse over which to reflect and think about when and why you bought each piece you have.

This got me wondering about major collections and what are the key pieces in a complete or near complete HL collection.

Out all the LEs released what constitutes the heart of the Wacko collection? Those pieces which the person who is trying (or thinking about trying) to collect all of them considers the sine qua non, the heart of the LE set. If we limit the list to approximately 10%, what would be on your list? Not necessarily your favorite models, but those that are 'most important' to a serious collection. Imo, nothing outside the 5500 series really qualifies, with maybe one or two exception.

Let's call 'em the Sweet 16.

Here's my suggestions. Others jump in with your opinions...

(not in any particular order)
7. The Seven Southern Belles
8. New Point Loma
9. Sandy Hook
10.Burrows Island
11.Portland Head
12.SE Block Island
13.Assateaque
14.Barnegat
15.Big Bay Point
16.Montauk

Obviously there are some worthy pieces missing. While CH1/2 and Coquille are definitely key pieces, I don't think of them as part of the heart - iow, you can have the core without 'em. (Anybody who acquires these nowadays is v. serious about collecting.) Then there's Nauset and Neddick, the Ledges, New London and Minot's - and some will consider Old Mackinanc, Big Red or Diamond Head.

What does your Sweet 16 look like?

Wow - a list in the FSB :-)
__
/im