Please tell me where it's $3.29 on LI - Does that mean it's gone down again?

So many places I saw as of Friday were more like $3.59-89 - haven't been on the road since! Is that Mount Sinai prices?

I don't know what I'm going to do quite yet - I drive a Jeep Liberty and have a minimum commute of about 100 miles a day - and it's 2 years old, so I'd have to see if I traded it in for a more fuel efficient car, if I'd get the amount of the loan back - at the time I bough this car, my commute was more like 40 miles a day and then I got mileage money back for going anywhere beyond that - It was all because I wanted a 4 wheel drive vehicle to drive on the beach and visit some lighthouses!

I thankfully already can have every other Friday off if I work my time in 9 days instead of 10, which I do - and drive one less day in that two weeks - but thought that was a good deal to work with what I thought were already high gas prices.

I got one of those credit cards that give you a percentage back on your gasoline purchases - so I get $25 a month back - which no longer even fills half the tank!...and I'm pretty sure my tank is a 17 gallon one.

I was one of the people that had to wait on lines last week (engine off, of course, so not to burn any more gass than necessary on idle)when the gas went up from $2.68 a few days before (I have to fill up every few days) to $2.73-89 the morning before it really got bad...by the end of that day, the place I had filled up at $2.73 (Gulf Station) was $3.15 and the $2.89 station (Hess) right down the road was $3.19...now they are both way more than that!
When I was way out east in Amagansett last weekend, gas was up to just under $3 a gallon there - this was before the hike, of course - I can only imagine they are possibly over $4 a gallon there now.

Maybe I will try staying a little more at the speed limit a little more to save money - since I remember in school learning that 55 MPH is the optimum for fuel efficiency.

Carpooling is difficult for me because of where I live and my varied work locations - and well, trains on LI were not set up to get you around LI, just to the city - buses, I have no idea, don't run across them that often.

Can't save gas by trading cars with my husband, who drives way less than me - he has a Nissan Frontier (truck) - really not much better mileage than me.

My husband and brother-in-law work together and live next door to each other - so we're trying to get them to car pool at least a few days - but they love their "freedom" too much and keep saying how they don't drive very far in the first place - I estimate about 20 miles round trip a day - I think that is significant enough.
I can tell you one thing though - the solar panels idea for my house is looking very good right now, if the oil prices go way up like this - I'm sure this winter will be a tough one.
...As if it wasn't hard enough to live on LI as it was.

I might have to just see if I can work from home at least one day a week (in addition to the every other Friday off)- guess it doesn't hurt to ask...

and start looking more into the car options for trading in my beloved Jeep for a more fuel efficient car - would you believe I drove a Saturn before this? - that had great mileage - I did have it for almost 10 years.

Hopefully, things will get better and the gas prices will level off some...maybe they've already been on their way down since last I saw them - hopefully, we're also following the trend here that everyone else has been reporting.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, with our effort to encourage people to carpool on Long Island - I noticed this summer that the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane is a big flop when there is tons of traffic making its way presummable out to the Hamptons on say a Friday afternoon (and I'm talking about all the way from the start of it in Nassau County to almost the end of it in Suffolk County - gets better by about Exit 62-63, where all traffic is better) - or even Wed and Thursday. They were moving slower than the other 3 lanes of traffic on the LI Expressway a lot of the time. It really hasn't been doing all that much better with the accidents and cops pulling people over all year long on a regular basis either...and I know - I drive along the whole length of the HOV on a daily basis. I don't one how one car pool lane was supposed to fix all of our problems with more and more cars on the road here every year.