As a fairly new collector, August 1998, and someone who has met more new collectors than those from the early years (at least 5 to 1 ratio- an unscientific number)these are my thoughts on the Golden Age of HL:
1- Even though I was intrigued by HL, it took the production of a LH that I was connected with before I became an collector.
[So the first 17 (besides CH) didn't knock my socks off initially but I've grown to love some!]
2- When I started, I realized that I could never afford to collect every LE, even if I could buy all of them at retail (which I couldn't).{East Coast initial scenario]
3- If I started collecting today, I probably would collect GLOWS because some of my favorite lighthouses in the LE are prohibitively $$$$, and the GLOWS are usually nicer because of the evolution of the product.[Currently an only LE collector]
4- The advance of information technology (Internet, collectors books, ebay, etc.) has placed a published value on all pieces and made the ability to find a retired HL much easier, and definitely much easier to sell.
(Although the increased supply (availabilty), has decreased the price.)
[Southern Belles which I never thought could be obtainable are becoming more attainable.]
5- A more educated collector now knows that in most cases he(she) doesn't have to jump on their first find of a particular HL LE because they can probably find it again in the near future for close to the price they want to pay.(instead of bidding up an exhorbitant price because you must have it)
{Big Bay, New London Ledge -green water, West Quoddy LR]
That's my 'wet behind the ears' view from a fairly new addicted LE collector(WACKO).

LONG ISLAND BOB