OK, before I get into this, I just want to say that I support the idea of SofL for a Y2k piece. The Statue of Liberty may not be much of a lighthousy-lighthouse, but it is considered a lighthouse. In fact it was the first one to ever be electrified.
Now, the Statue of Liberty has long symbolized America, what she stands for, and what so many came in droves seeking, from the Old World's "teeming shores" and poet Emma Lazarus stated in her poem about the statue, "The New Colossus."
Now, we all know how helpful lights have been since the beginning of our country, even before that. We declared our independence from Great Britain in the hopes that we would gain rights of free citizens. Now, in the late 1800's the Statue of Liberty came over to New York Harbor in crates, little did we know that it would stand for America from the time she was unveiled on. She may not have been too much of a navigational aid for the sailors, but for the constant flow of immigrants, she was a guiding light. Telling them that they were in America now, that they were home now. That they were free. The shackles and chains of the Old World were broken (as symbolized at the Statue of Liberty's feet).
So, as the millenium approaches, we are urged to look back, on all the times we have been through. On how we have survived so much, how we have been so determined as to never give in, to never give up our rights as free citizens of the United States of America.
And, lest we forget the words at the Grand Lady's base, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free." And also, let us never forget the keeper who also shined the other lights, the others lights that said, "This way, don't give up. You are almost there. Just a bit further, and then you will be in America. America! Freedom is calling. Answer her! Answer the call of freedom! FREEDOM!"
So, as we still debate, let us remember our ancestors, their struggle, in both the Old World, and the New, to break fre of tyranny. So, in conclusion, I would like to say, that yes, there is a connection to the Millenium, the Statue of Liberty, and United States history. The Millenium sings, to us, to all, American, European, Asian, African, and South American, to remember the sturggles and victories of the last 1,000 years. To remember How we have won and lost the right to stand free. And, for all Americans, the Millenium gives us time to remember how we have won the right to stand free and say "I am an American, and I am proud! I AM AN AMERICAN!"
The Statue of Liberty symbolizes America, just as the other lights do, but it casts out and extra message, and extra light, touching each and every anxious face, young, old, rich, poor, it tells them that they are free, and liberty is theirs for the taking.
And in the words of that great line from the Broadway musical Ragtime, tehy came, and the rode, "on the Wheels of a Dream."

Jake (Stephen)

PS- John, if this doesn't work, I'm going to find a way to get that $20 to send to you.

PPS- So now what is next in this great debate, eh Tim?

Jakers