Up yonder in the high rent forums, there's messages a plenty to suggest for the year 2000 (y2k)Harbour Lights should do the Statue of Liberty as a Special Millenium Limited Edition. I'll dub this the Y2K SoL SMiLE piece.

What if Harbour Lights put this millenium LE in a globe you could shake and see it snow...

Nah, I don't think so. And I'm with the Bradymeister on this one. Imo the idea of using the SoL as an HL Y2k piece is too contrived. A Millenium HL is about as endearing to me as a Millenium soup spoon. After all they both share the same ties to this particular tick of the clock. (Like zero - totally).

The year 2000 has no inherent connection with Lighthouses - it doesn't even have a real connection with US history. Maybe looking backward, the history books may record it in connection with the potential data problems associated with computing.

(Ok - I'm sure some Wacko will come up with a n historical connection between lighthouses, SoL and US History - but it won't be an obvious one. Just wait till people discover it was really meant to tell immigrants to avoid NYC like a shoal. [g,d&r] ).

HL doing a "Special Millenium Edition" is not only not a good idea, its a bad idea. Why? Because its trying to make something out of nothing - its attempting to use lighthouses to capitalize on a non-Lighthouse event. This psuedo marketing opportunity demeans lighthouses in general and collecting most especially. I'll be embarassed if HL does this and they'll look a little bit silly and a whole lot greedy. But I'm also sure a certain segment of the collecting population will simply have to have one. I also trust HL is mature enought to recognize that just because you can make money off a something, doesn't mean you should.

Why not a special Jimmy Carter birthday Edition, or an LE to commemorate Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic. Whatta we see next a 'Baby's first Lighthouse' model? No doubt that'll help line BY's pockets as quickly as Y2K SoL SMiLE.

If you're gonna do a special LE - for goodness sakes, take it from Lighthouse history. Make it mean something special for lighthouses. That way - it'll mean something special to lighthouse lovers.

Besides, it won't be good at the stroke of Midnight on 1/1/00 when all those French guys come pouring out and capture New York.

What do you think?

Rgds,
Napolean Solo

<--Mr. Fun Mr. Yuk-->

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 01-23-99).]