"Like, disapprove, despise or not care about the secondary market, you still have to have it. The fact that Harbour Lights are a collectible makes the secondary market a neccessity."

I agree with this statement, but would add that the value of the secondary market only affects those collectors who are buying to resell at a future time. For those who are purchasing because they want and like the piece and have no intention of selling it down the road, the secondary market is basically an unimportant issue. The truth of the matter is that the secondary market does not affect the majority of those who purchase a Harbour Light.

"Not every lighthouse will sell on its own merit. Look what happened to Windpoint and Round Island. If the secondary market weekens you may see more of these retirements in the future unless Harbour Lights reduces production back below 10,000 on some of the least expected winners."

I agree.
I live in the Hudson Valley and work with the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society and have quite an interest in Hudson River lighthouses, but I think that it will take a long time to sell 10000 of these lighthouses and would not be surprised to see them retire prematurely a few years down the road. (say about three or four years from now) I would be very surprised if they reach the 10000 mark.

"the lightkeeper"

[This message has been edited by thelgtkpr (edited 05-09-99).]