Quote:
It really has nothing to do with numbering. Numbering is used only for limited edition purposes, but retirement can apply to both limited and unlimited editions.

This brings up another old debate about GLOWs. If GLOWs are really supposed to be Open Editions, then why did Harbour Lights choose to number them and even go as far a give them a series, "a, b, c, d, e....."? GLOWs have always been a huge contradiction to me. Call them what you will. In enough years I think that there will be a secondary market for some of these GLOWs. Like, disapprove, despise or not care about the secondary market, you still have to have it. The fact that Harbour Lights are a collectible makes the secondary market a neccessity. Not every lighthouse will sell on its own merrit. Look what happened to Windpoint and Round Island. If the secondary market weekens you may see more of these retirements in the future unless Harbour Lights reduces production back below 10,000 on some of the least expected winners. I like the Hudson River series, but I wonder how long it will take to sell 10,000 lighthouses introduced in the same year that look very much alike and even look similar to the 98 Reunion Event Piece, Rose Island. I know the locals will do there part. Only time will tell how well these 10,000s will do.

SeAnDiEgO