After wading through these messages and the preceding ad hominem I'll offer the following in an attempt to be clearer:

1. Its confusing to equivocate on the meaning of the term 'retired' and I disagree with bending the meaning this term has within the context of collectibles. Presumably one thing that differentiates a limited edition collectible from one that is not is the manufacturer's statement up front on the number of limited edition pieces to be made. And another differentiator is the manufacturer's statement up front that once this edition size is reached no more will ever be produced. When that number is reached such that the item can no longer be obtained from the manufacturer the item is labeled 'retired' and if the manufacturer is true to their word, it will never be made again.

2. With the exception of the skinny tower Barnegat GLOW, and based on numbers from HL, it is not the case that "the amount of these retired Glows is far less than the current edition run for limited editions" when you compare the number of 1st version GLOWs with the same model LE.

3. A secondary market for GLOWS has not developed although as previously noted, the initial edition of the Cape Hatteras GLOW occasionally commands a slight premium.

4. >>Isn't a manufactured piece considered to be retired when the manufacturer decides they will stop making that exact model? <<

Not according to my understanding. When HL did a remold of CH1 they did not announce that HL#102 was retired until all 5,500 pieces were sold out to dealers. When they chose to change the color of the Beavertail tower from tan to grey (no longer >>the exact model<<) they did not say that HL#188 was retired. Variations do not retire - as best as I can determine HL only retires model numbers.

5. Of course, Limited Edition collectibles are indeed manufactured rarities, I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise.

The constant chime of 'Buy what you like' is kinda like someone offering the advice of 'Do what you want' and suggesting its an ethic. I suppose its appropriate if you have no goals or parameters that bind your collecting activities. And yes I can imagine someone out their saying "my goal is to buy what I like...", but somehow I doubt we'll be spared.

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 05-08-99).]