Randall Ronne told me about the Collectors Forums when we met at my very first "Bill" signing event. I've been a member for a couple of years and have enjoyed the forums, and hope the forums will continue on. As Randall said in his post, living in a lighthouseless state like Colorado the forums gives me the opportunity to enjoy lighthousing by proxy if you will. I am not able to travel to lighthouse states except once a year, so reading the posts here is extremely enjoyable.

I don't post very often, as my lighthouse knowledge is by no means in the leagues of the folks here. I can see where some people might be offended, felt left out etc. But it is hard many times to express what the true intent of your comments are in writing. I do not feel any of the people here intentionally set out to hurt anyone or leave them out. This is a large group of people, varying ages, backgrounds and alot of you have known each other for a long time. To expect everyone to have the same opinion is some what fool hardy and would make the need for this site unnecessary. And wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same? If I am offended by something, I have to decide is the subject serious enough for me to expend energy over it? If not I move on to the next subject. If so, voice my opinion and still move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless of how wrong or right it is. That is what makes this America! It is sometimes hard to become comfortable with a new group of people, no matter what the situation, and I think a harder when all coorespondence is written. I feel that some of this group is closer because they have met face to face at various events and have know each other for a long time. It would be natural that they would be closer. But I haven't felt left out of the forums (though limited participation so far.

With regard to the Younger's, I must not be so bright?? or I've missed out on some earlier expresed discontent? I don't see what one's relationship with the Youngers has to do with how one feels about lighthouses? And if you don't care for how the Youngers run their business or produce their products then you do not have to purchase them. I have been so overwhelmed by their generosity to the lighthouse preservation communities and to the people that buy their products. If you look at other companies that produce collectibles, do they do the things these folks have done? Providing their products at no cost to raise funds for lighthouse preservation, to encourage membership in Lighthouse groups? To sponsor a reunion of collectors? Traveling and meeting their "Collection community at signing events"? I'm not so naive to not know great marketing, but somehow I don't think that is the main driver for the Youngers.

If funds are needs to help continue the forums, I would be more than willing to send the $$ just as I did last year. Even though I don't post very often, I look at myself as being more of a "Silent Partner" than a "lurker". I like the people here, and it would break my heart to no longer have the forums as a place to read about lighthouses and HLs.

Thank you to John for being a great Webmaster, and to the Moderators, I appreciate your extra effort in maintaining the different topics. And to the other members of the forums I thank you for sharing you knowledge and your lighthousing experiences with a landlocked lighthouse lover.

Melody smile

Melody