>>Now, in reality, what is the difference between buying my imaginary Coquille for $30.00 and buying any other real piece at 50% off.<<

I don't think we're talking about the secondary market. There's not a contract between Y&A and secondary market sellers. The question was about HL dealers selling at discount.

There's no doubt about the math. Less than retail is exactly that - no question on saving money, etc. etc. The more interesting issue is what is the overall effect on HL models as collectibles. I realize its very difficult for folks to get past their own self-interested wallets.

Say it with me ... "everybody likes a deal".

Perhaps the best that can be hoped for is 'enlightened self-interest'. Consider the cummulative effect of regular discounting on HL as Collectibles. Yes - this requires one to actually think of the greater good - an obviously difficult abstraction for many. Methinks we've been here before - to take the refresher course, read part 1 of this thread.

A possible result of regular discounting is the loss of any sort of baseline price grounded on the retail market. This effectively turns the retail market into the secondary market. I'll assume its OK with those in the self-interested camp for dealers to adopt the same attitude and sell very popular low edition models for more than retail. The first round of Clamshells at $175? Do we want to go there?

__
/

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 02-01-2002).]