Well
I LIKE IT.
Why not have one fictional fantasy lighthouse?
However, will it be the only one? I guess it will be if this one does not sell.
Barking Rocks being a fictional light is the least of its negatives in my book.
The biggest thing that bothers me is the price. I have to ask myself why I would want this lighthouse for $125. It wouldn’t be because it is a Harbour light, I learned to say no to auto-shipment four years ago. I never have been to this lighthouse. It doesn’t fall in my area that I am collecting. I am not a David Winters collector. I don’t collect Mystical stuff. Finally, it does not look like it is going to be a sell out or at least not with the forum collectors. The only reason I can possibly think of buying it is that it is neat looking and a Harbour Light. And frankly as mentioned before there are many other Harbour Lights that I would buy before this one.

The next thing I do not like about it, is part of the light missing. Why and in world would Mr. Winter leave part of the lighthouse off? I have not heard anyone explain this, so to answer that question I went to my daughter who likes the mystical stuff and has even watched Harry potter a few times. She pointed out that the missing lighthouse is part of the mystical sculpturing. It is done to create the illusion of a fantasy light that doesn’t exist and leaves the rest to our imaginations. I remember movies in the 60’s where the ending was left off for our imaginations. I hated them and I don’t care for it being done to a L.E. Lighthouse. Sorry Mr. Winter I need closure. I cannot go around with anything else in my life incomplete.
Before closing our conversation, my daughter asked me why Harbour lights would produce a fictional light? Everyone knows they make replicas of actual lighthouses.

The HL number thing doesn’t bother me. If you dislike barking Rocks, just don’t buy it and if you are one of those endangered species that still collect them all. What would another $125 be compared to the $30,000 plus that you already spent? As I mentioned before if Harbour Lights doesn’t use the HL number they are throwing away many sales that they are going to make just because the HL is on the figurine. And it sounds like this whole promotional thing is about tying in David Winter Cottages and Harbour Lights.

The negative reaction that I got from this forum, almost seems like a lynching, I could almost hear one collector shout out “There is going to be a Hang’n tonight” and another one yell “I‘ll get the rope”. I feel that we where feeding each other’s negative opinions against this piece. Now that the smoke has cleared, maybe we can all look at this piece more open-minded. Bill explained to me that HL was looking for a well-known artist to make one of their lighthouses. Another Artist was looked at, but wanted to go through a bunch of red tape, while HL already had a good relationship with David Winter. David agreed and apparently was not given any restriction. He came up with a very highly complex and laborite design that will most likely give him an award. Since most of our collectors are collectors of models of lighthouses, I can see how this would create a negative reaction. However, if we could look at Harbour Lights, as it really is, Artwork, then maybe we can begin to appreciate this piece.

As I noted before in the other forum. I recommend that all collectors of auto-shipments look at this piece in person. Look at it as an art collectable and not a lighthouse model, before you turn down your low numbers. $125 is a lot to pay for a lighthouse but according to Bill Younger, it is a very expensive lighthouse to make. As I have noted before the price has gone up at the factory for this piece and HL is absorbing the cost.

One major thing that could have been done concerning this light is that HL and DW should have somehow tied this light in with Harbour Lights. Collectors accepted the Legacy lights because they had the Harbour light sign. This light should have not been dropped on the collectors with out some kind of connection to our other collectables.

DANIEL