Quote:
Let's rethink the 'no GLOW before LE' thing. If HLs can do a piece as GLOW first, then they could release a piece that has strong regional appeal (Pottawatomie maybe, sorry Jim) as a GLOW in the Great Lakes area and not have it sitting on dealer's shelves in Florida or California for months or years. Then the idea of 12 new national LE releases per year might be more appealing or workable.

No! No! No! My worst nightmare! Should this happen my decision to collect Harbour Light Lighthouses as a collectible will cease! I will not buy giftware in the hopes that HL will eventually make a limited edition. This whole discussion is just bringing out the fears I have about GLOWS and how they are mucking up this collection of limited editions. I am in agreement that GLOWs are a positive for Younger and Associates but I don't have to be happy about it and clammering for more and more releases. To me GLOWs have done nothing but muddle this Limited Edition of Collectibles into what it seems new collectors only feel is giftware. There is no growing secondary market or appreciating value for your collection of lighthouses made after 1995, IMHO. Yet many of us are not concerned and just dont even care? Inventories for dealers increase, dealers have to dump to make ends meet. This is inevitable regardless how you feel about signed contracts. A roof over your head and food on the table will discount a collectible everytime. GLOWS are just one of the pieces of the puzzle that is competin g for space on the dealers shelves. I am not going to reunions to talk about Open Editions, I am not going to regionals to talk about Open Editions, I am not going to signings to have Open Editions signed. I made a joke a few months ago about Harbour Lights using an NFL Draft System to dole out their lighthouses. Effectively beefing up the Sales Reps areas with Regional Limited Editions that will sell. What would this do to Auto-ships? I have no idea. It was just a thought.
[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-08-2001).]