While GLOWS have negitive effects on the market for the LE's, let us not forget about this before we do away with them:

"A portion of the proceeds from the sale of these gorgeous open edition replicas goes to the preservation group responsible for the maintenance of the lighthouse."

(Quote from Harbour Lights flyer)

For many preservation groups, I would guess that these are extremely important dollars. Even if it may seem like a trivial amount of money, every penny counts. At the Saginaw River Rear Range Light, volunteers bring lawnmowers from home and buy their own fuel. Maybe those dollars could be used to buy a mower for some group. Maybe they could be used to help pay for utilities. Every penny does count. These are just examples and maybe the big groups at Hatteras, Sandy Hook, and St. Augie don't need the money, but I bet it helps. I'm sure it will help St. Joseph and others.

It is just something to think about. I have purchased a few GLOWS and will purchase St. Joe when it comes out.

GLOWS hurt the collectable aspect of Harbour Lights. We know that. GLOWS help with preservation. We need that.

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 06-29-2001).]