Quote:
I propose two numbers to be set-aside for individual collectors
WOW, this is like deja-vu all over again. I woke up this morning with almost the same idea as Daniel, but didn't get a chance to post.

I was going to suggest that #5 be set aside for individual bidding to all Harbour Lights collectors. That same #5 would be available to individual bidding for all future pieces down the road.

Just for the record, under the current Harbour Lights proposal, pieces #2 - #10 are NOT being bid on. They are being sold at retail price. You just have to select which ones you want to purchase. If more than one collector selects the same pieces (with the same #), the winner will be determined by an impartial drawing.

What about donated pieces for future events and fundraisers? Right now, most of the artists proofs are given to sales rep groups for their display showrooms. We actually order our Harbour Lights through one of these sales rep groups, instead of through Harbour Lights directly. These sales rep groups are then allowed to do as they choose with the artists proofs. Most sales reps will sell them to the older, long-time Harbour Lights dealers, who will then make big bucks auctioning them off. Our proposal would be to make these sales reps RETURN the artists proofs to Harbour Lights after the next set of new releases is announced. These artists proofs could then be donated to regional events, in-store events, and fundraisers.

Of course, our long-time dealers would balk at this. It's time for compromise; both by collectors and dealers. Harbour Lights will probably never have the "good old days" of collecting, so do what we can to keep it alive.

When we were given the "limited edition" line in 2002, our sales rep had to be sure that there would be no "offended" nearby Harbour Lights dealers who would resent us also having the line. There is a dealer about 50 miles from us who resented us getting the line back then, but they are also the type of dealer that thinks no one within 100 miles of them should have Harbour Lights! Now, in 2006, dealers within 10 miles of us are allowed to carry a "few" of the local "limited editions." They are no longer required to make a large investment to become a dealer. We realize that this cuts severely into our sales of local pieces, but we're willing to compromise if this increased exposure means the survival of Harbour Lights. It's time for long-time dealers to compromise, too, and give up the auctioning of these artists proofs, which we, as newer dealers, have no chance to obtain anyway.

JUST A THOUGHT

I keep hearing the "Deep Pockets" phrase mentioned when referring to possible collectors who could come along and purchase these low-numbered pieces in one giant swoop. It is definitely an unflattering tone when it is used.

Now, let's look at the CF members who have purchased every "limited edition" since the beginning of Harbour Lights. Most CF members are probably on a limited budget and cannot afford to do that. Before this current controversy, would they have referred to you as "Deep Pockets?" If all of these "low-numbered" pieces were open to bidding individually, wouldn't this group of deep-pocketed CF members end up winning the bids on all of the desirable pieces?

Again, as always, this is not meant to offend any of our long-time collectors. My point is this. Is the average CF member (or Harbour Lights collector) any better off, whether Harbour Lights sells off the low-numbered pieces as a group, or individually?

Jim