I realize Bill can sell his Lighthouse collection if he wants and Tony, Don and Bill can sell the Lighthouse in any way or to whom ever they want. I have talked to Tony and he is a great guy and very zealous at his Job. I respect Tony and I feel that with all his heart he just wants to put the excitement back into collecting and get Harbour lights back on its feet. Dave Has pointed out that it cost money to store all these lighthouse and at a business perspective it makes sense it get rid of them at the least expensive and most profitable way.

However In my mind and probably in the mind of many Collectors we were considering Tony and Don as the “Great Harbour Light Hope” We were hoping that Don and Tony would be able to bring back the good old days of Harbour light collecting. We were anticipating more regional events so that most collectors would have a chance to participate in one and mingle with fellow collectors. We have been craving for more store events and great give always. Many of us would show up after traveling 100s of mile, hoping for one of the great give always that came out of The Vault” (number 2 to 10). Non-profit Lighthouse groups cherished the rare low numbered lighthouses that were given to them for raising money for lighthouse restoration. Now all that is to be taken away.

Before we all get out the hanging noose out for Tony. It is not Tony that is selling the collection, it is Bill and we don’t know how much of this selling process is Bill’s idea or Tony’s or even Don’s. Bill always talked about setting up an inheritance for his children and grandchildren. I personally feel that Bill is going to use this money to leave to his children or to spend on personal lighthouse restorations or both.

The problem I am having with all of this is that everything is tailored for the rich and not for long-term faithful collectors. What I see happening is all of us collector’s hopes are being sold off to the highest bidder. The low numbers for future lights will no longer be held back for events and special lighthouse projects but will be going to the bidder that wins that number. As Bob said you are only simulating excitement for only about 1% of the collectors and creating resentment and distaste for many other collectors.

I propose

I propose two numbers to be set-aside for individual collectors. And only collectors that have not participated in the group bids can register. The two numbers must be ones with a full string of numbers to choose from. This will put more bidding pressure on the remaining lights raising the bids on the group bids. Since the lighthouses that are on the individual bid are single bids I am sure that it will pull in more money than the group bids. This will make all the collectors feel involved.
Of course all bidders will still go to their dealer for bidding. The two numbers I propose would be 7 and 9

I feel that Bill will make more money this way and give every collector a shot at the low numbers. The extra money that it may cost to sell individual pieces will be compensated by higher individual bids. I also feel this is fairer and will make most collectors happier. Also those two numbers for future lighthouses shall be left for future events, giveaways and lighthouse restoration projects.

DANIEL