John,

As the age bracket goes, I guess I too, would have to say that I was in my late 40's when I first started buying HL. But I look at at 2 of my children who are approaching 40 in 2 years, and thier friends and folks I work with in thier 40's and 50's and collecting is not thier main concern. They are concerned with mortgages, vehilce payments, college tuition most importantly, and then comes the day to day living with the gas prices, and yes the cost of water, and the uncertainty of the world affairs.
Folks in thier 50's are in the sandwich generation, so along with college tuition, comes caring for thier elderly parents, and then perhaps paying for Long Term Care Ins. for themselves.
There are all sorts of variables out there that would prevent new comers or old collectors from wanting to buy any collectible, just as there probably will always be those that can afford anything they desire.
I cannot anymore, nor do I have the desire, but that's just me.
Maybe HL closing thier doors would be too harsh. For those that can and want to collect stuff, then perhaps Tom's suggestion of the LLOM would be the way for HL to go.

Disclaimer laugh
My point of view is not always someone elses, eek as we all have different lifestyles, beliefs, and activities going on in our lives, but I am just putting an opinion out there that might or might not be shared by others.

P.S. I am in the process of selling my 'big' van...as I can no longer feed it! frown

Pam