When I first started collecting HLs in September of 1997, I had no intention of trying to get them all. The turning point for me was the reunion in Providence, Rhode Island, last fall.

Now I'm missing only 11 limited editions, one of which should arrive tomorrow, and one other I should close the deal on this week. So that leaves nine LEs to go. They are Cape Hatteras HL 102, Burrows Island HL108, Coquille River HL 111, Portland Head HL 125, Ponce de Leon HL 132, Key West HL 134, Ocracoke Island HL 135, Hilton Head HL 136, and St. Augustine HL 138.

Some serious collectors might say you don't have them all unless you have the two CHs and the two Assateagues, and the green water pieces that are variations of the identical blue water pieces. I have a difference of opinion on that point.

I visited every dealer I could to find these pieces. I faithfully follow eBay and have purchased numerous HLs there. I've purchased HLs through the Market Place on the Forum. I've purchased HLs through the now defunct AOL Board (still exists but fails to function thanks to the efforts of the AOL Police.). I've been offered wonderful deals on missing pieces through fellow collectors who frequent this board. My latest ploy is to find HLs at deals and try to arrange a 2-for-1 swap that can benefit both myself and the person who is willing to make the swap.

If you feel the need to "get them all" just start "wheelin' + dealin' " whenever you can. Is it expensive? I would have to say, yes. Is it an impossibility? I would definitely say, no. Look for the oldies before they disappear. Visit every dealer you can and look the stock over good. A perfect example is my find of HL 101 Admiralty Head about a month ago. I had visited this dealer at least 5 or 6 times over the last few months. Suddenly, there was HL 101 on the shelf for retail. Needless to say, I didn't have any second thoughts about that purchase.

If you enjoy collecting HLs you can have a lot of fun hunting them down. Purchase what you can and stay within your budget. As time goes by you will be surprised on how large your collection can get in a short period of time. Sooner or later you may find you do have them all except for the "really big-buck pieces". Then make sure you attend the Harbour Lights Reunions where you may get lucky and win a piece you could never have afforded otherwise.

My HL collecting is starting to lead me down different paths. Perhaps I will get lucky and find one or two of my missing nine LEs at a decent price. You never know what you might find until you look.

The search goes on......and on.......and on!

<^>