JC's analysis is of course correct. But I wonder just how many of those extra NPL's remain tucked away in closets. I also suspect the number of folks purchasing NPL at the 1st Reunion is more than 300.

Coquille has a certain mystique about it that has set it apart from just about every model except perhaps CH1. This mystique has a cache that translates to price and perhaps causes the owner a greater reluctance to sell. I also suspect most Coquilles that go up for sale have been on the market before. If you bought one a few years back for >1000 you're not likely to be letting it go for less. If you can't get that for it, you won't sell.

Not long after its release, NPL docked into the price bracket of CH2 and Portland Head. Not sure what that is today, but it had been in the $550-$800 range not too long ago. I have a theory that once a model finds its price niche relative to other pieces it tends to stay in that niche. Its price will go up or down relative to other pricing. Pieces towards the top of the price range will impact lower pieces. For a while NPL was the tide that lifted many boats.

This price niche theory offers an explanation as to why we haven't seen a rise in price for some pieces that are rare. Point Arena and Burrows Island are a couple examples. Of course there are other factors such as lighthouse location, tourist factor, history, and aesthetics that come into play.

If you find an NPL, or even better an NPL mini, at what you consider a reasonable price, buy it. Its a great model (nice palms!) with solid roots in HL history and only 950 people can own one. Its on my recommended Sweet 16 list.

Rgds,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 07-27-2000).]