Bob S.,

I don't think she caught on to that little plan of mine. I wish the ship had left about 1-2 hours earlier so I could have gotten better and more pictures in the Harbor. She did know that there was no way I was going to Bermuda without seeing the two Lighthouses there. I should have planned a little better though, not enough time at Gibb's Hill and no time to go back.

Bob M,

J.P. told us a little story about Emily- it seems that the utility company on the island had gotten a little lax and had neglected to keep up repairs to the power lines, etc.

When Emily blew through she took out 95% of the poles. It took almost 2 months to complete the job of replacing them- the ends of the Island were without power for that long.

Other than that there was minimal property damage except on the U.S. Air Base (now the International Airport with the longest runway)due to the building codes on Bermuda.

All buildings must be built to withstand a Force 4 Huricane. Of course buildings on the base did not have to meet this code.

Here's an interesting fact- the roofs of the homes and most small buildings are made in such a way as to collect the rainwater. It is drained into a water tank built before the house is and is the source of almost all of the water used in Bermuda.

Most of the roofs are white and should be painted every 1-2 years.

Dennis