Esther and I took a trip to Europe in July of this year.

We were taking a 14 day cruise that would wend it's way from Dover, England stopping in Le Havre, France ,Cork (Cobh) Ireland, Dublin Ireland, Greenock (Glasgow) Scotland, Belfast Northern Ireland, Geringer/Olden/Bergen Norway and Copenhagen Denmark and then returning to Dover, England.

We also spent 3 days in the London area and 1 day in Brighton, England before the cruise.

We saw 51 Lighthouses, Lightships and other aids to navigation on this trip. I have some good photos and some not so good- it's hard to get good photos from 2 miles away. laugh

I did some research before the trip but not much on the lighthouses we might see. I promised Esther this trip would focus on other things. We made only one excursion on the cruise with lighthouses in mind- in northern Ireland the excursion description for the Aryds Peninsular specifically mentioned a lighthouse so I booked that one.

I did extensive research for a London hotel- my one criteria that was a must was air conditioning. I learned the hard way in the past that when people say something like- "You don't need air conditioning- it never gets that hot there" that I definitely need air conditioning. It's a good thing I did- it was in the high 80's and low 90's in London- and everywhere else we went except for Scotland. We kept hearing things like- it's never this hot. you picked the right time to come, etc

We had high temperatures, blue skies almost no clouds and almost no rain everywhere. I actually did the unheard of- I went on a 2 week cruise and I lost 6 pounds. laugh

We got to many of the attractions in London but not all we wanted to get to- (Tower Of London, Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace, Ben Franklin's House, Covent Garden, Abbey Road, Greenwich Observatory, British Museum).

We spent one day in Brighton visitng with a lady, Mari, and her husband, Ray. Esther and I had met Mari along with another English lady (Jude) in Feb when they came over to NY and NJ to see two Al Stewart concerts.

Mari took us on a tour of Brighton- the Lanes and the surrounding countryside. She said she had a special treat for me but woudln't tell me what it was. I suspected what it was as I knew there were at least 2 lighthouses not far from Brighton.

We pulled up to the Kingston Buci Lighthouse- also known as Shoreham Lighthouse- which is located on the side of the main road in the riverfront district of shoreham. there is a Lightsaving Station right next to it.

Here's a photo of the lighthouse.

The next morning we were off for Dover to catch our cruise ship- Celebrity Constellation- one of their biggest and newest ships.

We got to see several lighthouses in Dover Harbour right next to the ship.

Here's the Prince of Wales Pier Lighthouse-

This one seemed to have a number of people visitng it at the time.

There are also two other lights in the harbour-

Dover Breakwater West End-

Dover Breakwater Knuckle with one of the many ferries that go back and forth from Dover to France-

Here's a shot of both. I think you might be able to walk out to both of these lights but I'm not positive.

I also got a very distant shot of the South Foreland (High) Lighthouse. This is located in a national park that is part of the White Cliffs Of Dover historical area. You can see those White Cliffs in the photo. We were hoping to get a chance to see this area a bit more detail on our return at the end of the cruise but that was not to be.(Details later).

Continued in post 2 due to photo limitations

Dennis