Stephanie,

I would think that the fact that you are driving will be the limiting factor. I would say go to Michigan, except that it would be a good day's drive each way and the lights that might be open in season would not be. I would say sometime set aside a full week and you could have a wonderful lighthousing adventure in Michigan.

It is also a bit of a drive from Atlanta to Norfolk, but I would think along those lines. Many of the lights might be closed, but you there are several that are open, I believe.

Across the Bay Bridge-Tunnel you will see Cape Charles off to the east. Any closer will take boat rental. Assateague is pretty any time of the year, and the park has a wonderful nature loop. Keep on up the coast to Fenwick, and up to Harbor of Refuge and Delaware Breakwater, also can see Lightship Overfalls there in Lewes. Then cut across to MD's eastern Bay shore, to Saint Michaels to see Hooper Strait light and the great museum they have. May be able to get a look at Sharp's further down the way. Go north to route 50 and the Bay Bridge. Just east of the Bay Bridge you can cut south to see Bloody Point. (Probably 90 minutes or less roundtrip from intersection with 50). Across the bridge, look just to the north and there sits Sandy Point. Way off to the north sits Baltimore. You can do the Baltimore loop and see the 2 sets of Craighill Range Lights, see 7 Foot Knoll downtown as well as the Lighthship Chesapeake. Not too far north of Baltimore is Concord Point and Turkey Point.

Drop back south. In Alexandria, see Jones Point. Across the river, back into Maryland is Fort Washington. Head south in MD towards the Solomons. You can see Cove Point and Drum Point. Great museum at Drum Point. You could continue on down to Point Lookout, then head back up to Piney Point on the Potomac. Back north a little bit, take the 301 across the river then either stay on 301 to Richmond and I-95 or you can work your way down to see New Point Comfort. Think this might not be a good time investment, as it is a long drive. That visit is better tied to a visit to Williamsburg with a stop at the CG Training Station in Yorkstown to vist the ANT school and its fantastic display of a large number of Fresnel lenses.

I have done all the parts of this trip as one day trips out of Washington area. Planned out, you might be able to do it all if you can handle speed lighthousing.

Have fun,

Dave