Darlene-

There's two ways to attack Maine. First there's the "see 'em all" method, where you go to every single possible lighthouse or viewing point that you can. (Due to time, money, and distance concerns, this is how I most often lighthouse.)

The second is "Relaxed Lighthousing". This is seeing all the major lights, but skipping all the offshore, etc. ones. If you have extra time, or don't care about the smaller lights, this is your way to go.

I have an entire binder set up for a Maine trip, that I can just pull off the shelf and go. I have it pared down to three days. I have heard many people say that this is too little time. I figure I'll just plan a cushion day in there.

If you are planning to take many little daytrips around, instead of a constant route, then Bangor is the place to stay. It is central to the entire coast, and has an abundance of hotels, which leads to a good "home base". Plus, if you're flying in, it's right near a big airport, I think. It's also nice to be able to leave your luggage in the room while you go exploring.

From my extensive trip planning, this is what I have found to be good tips. I can't prove them right, however, as I have not yet executed this trip. Maybe one day soon, but not yet.