I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents worth. I would highly suggest Pigeon Point. This is a beautiful tall tower that you can climb and it also has a first order Fresnel lens to view. It is easy to reach and has good bird watching and whale watching. Point Pinos is also nice in Pacific Grove. I would suggest taking the 17 mile drive around the Monterrey Peninsula (it is beautiful).

I also stopped at Point Montara on my way back to S.F. The gates were locked until 4:30-5:00pm? before you could enter. The tower is very small but it is a pretty setting.

I would highly suggest the drive out to Point Reyes but beware how long it takes! It looks much closer to S.F. than the actual drive time it takes to get there. It is run by the N.P.S. and you have to climb down the hillside to view the tower. I was very disappointed when I went there because of the time it took to get there we arrived 10 minutes before the posted closing time. The park ranger would not let us climb down to the tower because she said you needed at least 30 minutes to go down and get back up. We begged and pleaded and told her how far we had come just to see the lighthouse. She didn't care and wouldn't let us climb down the steps. I guess we'll have to go back another time.

I also tried to get into Point Bonita but it is only open on the weekends. Check with them ahead of time. Hope you have a great trip!!