Quote:
Originally posted by lmyhre:
Thanks for sharing your trip, Dennis. It brought back memories of a cruise we took in 1997 from Copenhagen to Norway. Thanks to you, I was able to identify the lightship Gedser Rev #XVII. I have a similar picture but didn't make a note of the ship's name and never could find an exact matching picture on any website (the name wasn't painted on the side of the ship then). The buildings in the background match exactly with my photo as well as the features of the ship. So, that made your trip photos doubly fun for me.

Yes, Kronborg is definitely a lighthouse. I found references and photos on a Scandinavian lighthouse website(which I don't remember right now - however I found it either on or with a link from The Lighthouse Directory website). Also, we visited the Kronborg castle while on a tour of castles around Copenhagen. Your photo even got the light while it was flashing.

Thanks again.

Larry
Larry,

Glad I could help you. I can understand the frustration with ID'ing the lighthship.

The web has very little info on the lighthouses of Scandinavia- norway has the most extensive info out there but it's even hard to figure out.

I spent a long time looking for anything that mentioned a lighthouse at the Kronborg Castle. If it was on the Lighthouse Directory it's not there anymore- that's the site I used the most since it's the most extensive world wide site I have found.

I took about 20 photos of the Castle as we passed it. The problem was that most did not show the light flashing and the sun had washed out the photos so it was difficult to even really see it clearly.

I decided to post the photo and hope for some verification from someone- and you've provided it. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping somebody will see the other unidentified lights and give some name to them. I found most of them- there are just a couple that lack an ID. That's not bad for doing almost no research before I left- and leaving what little I did at home. laugh

I truly did not intend this trip to have so many lighthouse sightings. I lucked out big time. I got 51 lighthouses, lightships or aids to navigation- not bad for knowing for sure I'd see only one lighthouse before we left.

Dennis