Another Stolen Weekend

Another outstanding weekend and opportunity to visit East End Long Island Lighthouses.
This time, Wildbird invited me to join a Hofstra University crew on a small boat out of Orient by the Sea. The Captain was Bob Douglas of Douglas Marine who not only supplied us with transportation but also some good stories about the area lighthouses since he‘s lived in the area all his life. The Hofstra students (Denise and staff) are doing a project for college credit and hope to produce this documentary for PBS.
We shipped out of Orient at 8:30 am, and headed for our farthest point North Dumpling Lighthouse. The day was mostly sunny and every time we arrived at a LH. The lighting seemed to be perfect and sometimes spectacular!
We then worked our way back to Race Rock, Little Gull, Plum Island, Orient Point, Ruins of Gardiners Island Lighthouse and the Fort, Cedar Island and Long Beach Bar ‘Bug Light’- "a 5 hour tour".
I did something different today, and took some digital video besides my stills, so I’m really looking forward to playing back my 42 minutes of video and reliving the trip tonight. That will also be good for cold winter evenings.
That’s three outrageous weekends in a row on Long Island that I never expected at this time of year! Four new lighthouses I had never seen; views from up close and in front of lighthouses for a reflecting waterview. Rod would love these. The only thing missing was ‘Lighthouse Dude’ who was Christmas shopping????

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 11-22-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB