By the time we were back on the main road, it was late afternoon. We arrived in Grand Marais shortly before sunset. It isn’t a very big town and as we were entering, we spotted the lighthouse right away. The moon is in a nice position behind it.

Before checking in to the motel, we drove into Picture Rocks and stopped at Sable falls.

We spent the night in Grand Marais and had dinner at the Lake Superior Brewing Company. I had a fantastic seasonal beer they make called Harvest Brew and I bought a jug to bring home.

The plan for Monday morning was to visit Au Sable lighthouse. H-58, the main road into the park was closed for repaving. We had 2 options to get to Au Sable: We could drive to the end of the paved section to the “Log Slide” and hike 2.5 miles to the lighthouse or we could detour about 15 miles on unpaved roads to the Hurricane River Campground and then hike on the beach about 1.5 miles. We chose the “Log Slide” 2.5 mile hike option. Within a couple minutes after starting on the trail we saw the object of our quest in the far distance.

Do you see it? At this point I was able to try out the full capacity of my new camera’s zoom for the first time. I was impressed!

Doc John