A cold but beautiful weekend to be out and about. The fall colors were spectacular. My adventures Sat were non-lighthouse related but they were quite nice. The professor who I am working with took me on a trip around Seneca Lake. We visited a few wineries and stopped for an hour and a half at Watkins Glen park. The effects of the wine made the hike in the cold more enjoyable although too be honest the scenery there was fantastic. A recommmended trip (as is Letchworth Park)for anyone who is interesetd in natural rock formations and waterfalls.

Sunday was spent traveling east of Rochester and seeing those lighthouses which were readily accessible by road. Since I had already been to Sodus Bay the next stop was Oswego. I found it without difficulty the only bad thing was that it was so far away from the pier that it was difficult to see well.

The Selkirk/Salmon River light was next. It looked just as I expected...a little close to the road perhaps but I was able to go up close and inspect it. A few boxes of empty beer bottles on the back porch of the house was a little distracting form the experience but hey this is the modern world.

Stoney Point was next. You can get good visibility from the road and it is an interesting style. Its privately owned so I didn't go any further than the road and took a couple pictures.

The highlight of the trip was definitely Tibbet's Point lighthouse. A spectular setting with wonderful panoramic views. Great Harbour Lights potential if they can somehow capture the majesty of the setting as well as the tower. I was the only person there that afternoon and I guess this was the last weekend the visitor center was opened (at least a sign on the door indicated that). I was very lucky. I had an interesting discussion with the volunteer there about the Pitt-Syracuse game.

This has been a wonderful experience for me and I head home tomorrow...and then immediately head to Orlando for a little family time.

Doc John

Doc John