The weekend trip to Toronto was very fruitful in terms of lighthouse experiences. After the play on Sat afternoon we went over to the Toronto Islands to see Gibraltor (thanks Art). The boat ride and the walk around the island to the lighthouse were very nice. I noticed a sign directing one to a "clothing optional" beach but it was too cold
The lighthouse was very nice with large gray bricks. There was a nice story on a plaque about how one of the early lightkeepers had disappeared there. Legend has it that his spirit still inhabits the tower...love those spooky lighthouse ghost stories...especially at dusk! I'd like to see Harbour Lights come up with a "Haunted Lighthouse" series and release them around this time of year. They can include a story about the legend in the COA. Anyway I digress. The sun had set while we were walking around and we were treated to a spectular nighttime Toronto skyline on the way back.

The trip back home took me to 6 additional light. The first was the Queen's Wharf Light that was relocated to an area in front of a Molson's brewery or warehpouse (I believe). An unusual attractive lighthouse in an ugly location.

The Oakville light was easy to find and is situated in the middle of a yacht club. The gate was open so I walked in and got a couple of nice pictures. A small white 6 sided lighthouse with red trim.

The Burlington Main Light is made of dark stone-like bricks and is situated in from of a large metal trestle bridge. While I was busy taking pictures of the lighthouse another guy there was busy taking pictures of the bridge...go figure! It was then a short walk down the pier to see the Burlington Canal Range Light.

The final lighthouses were the Port Dalhousie Inner and Outer Range Lights. Contrary to what is indicated in the Penrose guide, these lighthouses are readily accessible to the public. They are both very attractive and are painted white with vibrant green lantern rooms. The inner light is in the process of being refurbished and they were in the process of replacing the cedar shingles on the outside of the tower.

A very successful lighthousing weekend...oh...and The Lion King was absolutely spectacular!

This next weekend will be my final one in Rochester. Some finger lakes and wineries on the agenda for Saturday and then as many lighthouses as I can see east of Sodus on Sunday.

Doc John

Doc John