Well, Dunkirk was worth it. I stopped in last Friday on my way home and thought I was just going to stop for a few minutes to take a couple of pictures. I ended up spending an hour and a half there. The keeper's dwelling has to be one of the most interesting I've seen. The gables and the inticate woodwork were great. The location and the views were spectacular. The "museum" is more of a Veterans museum than a lighthouse museum. The tour lasted about an hour and about 15 mins was spent on lighthouse history and 45 minutes on all the military stuff they have on display there. I'm not big into military history but I could tell it was obvious a labor of love for the volunteers there.

I drove to Sodus Point this afternoon and visited the Sodus Point Lighthouse Museum and walked up to the Sodus Outer Light. The museum was very well done and has displays on the history of the community as well as the lighthouse. It was a beautiful but VERY COLD and WINDY so close to the water. The tower was open to climb and the view from the top was fantastic. Walking out on the pier up to the Outer Light you can see what a beautiful setting the older stone lighthouse is sitting in.

I am heading to Toronto this weekend primarily to go see "The Lion King" but I have noticed in the Penrose guide that there are several Canadian lighthouses to see on the way that are just a short distance off the QEW.

Doc John

Doc John