Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
Thanks for taking us along, my wife Sue and I have enjoyed going around the coastline of Michigan and visiting those lighthouses many times. We just recently came down the West coastline from the U.P. and we chose had to skip a lot of them in June because it was raining very hard.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the Forums..
Thanks for the welcome, Paul. I am glad that you are enjoying the pics and read. As I am only going off memory, details may not be great at times though.

Sorry to hear about your rain-outs. Hopefully your next trip to the Michigan coast will be a better experience.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tybee_Sullivan:
Hey, Tread...Great photos! I still have yet to get out of the South to see lighthouses. Which state do you live in? I live in one of the three as well. lol But, I used to live on the coast.
You know what is odd? I live in Tennessee but have never seen a lighthouse in North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, or Mississippi! Is that weird or what? beanie BTW, in which coastal state did you reside before moving to Tennessee?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Loon:
Great pics Tread22 !!!

Thanks for sharing them with us !!!
I appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy the following pics:

Monday, June 22nd, 2009

I woke up ahead of schedule again, but as a precaution, I felt that I should pass up on the Grand Traverse and Old Mission lights. Instead, I proceeded to the Charlevoix South Pierhead light. Unfortunately, I missed the intended turnoff, and had to backtrack. Still, I did finally manage to get my bearings and take a few pics....

Even with the early start-up, my navigational woes continued as a search for the light at Petoskey came up empty. I will have to admit that I didn't try to hard for that one though....as it is architecturally bland.

My next stop was slated to be the Little Traverse light, which had eluded me in a previous vacation due to darkness. As you all know, it is privately owned. With that being the case, this is the best shot that I could get....*

After another debacle with regard to directions, I finally got myself straightened out and arrived at McGulpin Point Lighthouse. How many times can you pass a lighthouse without seeing it? Surely I have tested the limits with McGulpin! For those interested in visiting, the light is on the right side of the road. Do NOT go all the way down to the shore or turn left. I have already made those mistakes so that you don't have to.

This little critter pic taken at McGulpin would turn out to be an example of foreshadowing as these little guys are all over the UP. I will never forget those chipmunks running across the road with their tails sticking straight up. That was really a hoot.

*Note: The Little Traverse Light pic was taken with my Canon DC320 camcorder. Unbeknown to me was the fact that my tripod didn't eliminate all of the shakiness. The result is the pic you see here. Is it a case of "Never use a camcorder as a camera." or something else. After seeing more of my camcorder pics, please let me know what you think.

It is truly odd that a lighthouse enthusiast such as myself would live in one of the only 3 states east of the Mississippi that does not have a lighthouse. Go figure. :p