A funny short story came to mind when I read the above posts about Montauk Light. Lorna and I were at the light a year or so ago accompanied by my Jack Russell Terrier, Chipper. Chipper is not a big dog but weighs in around 23 pounds. He looks very similar in size to "Eddie" of the televison show , Frazier.

Well I paid the fee for us to enter the grounds and started walking up the hill towards the light. Suddenly, without warning, we were approached and told we couldn't bring Chipper on to the grounds. I was disappointed that they felt that way and Lorna volunteered to take Chipper off the grounds and take him for a walk down by the beach. I proceeded to climb the light, visit the grounds and gift shop and then joined Lorna down at the beach.

We walked down a sandy path and saw a guide showing some foreign tourists around and explaining about various bushes and animals that inhabit the area. The funny part was she spotted Chipper's dog prints in the sand and started to explain these were the tracks of a fox that must be in the area. Some of the tourists even took pictures of Chipper's tracks.

If Chipper was a very large dog and left large paw prints, I wonder if the guide would have explained them as prints from a mountain lion? LOL

Bob