Had a nice day trip up the Hudson yesterday with fellow NELL members Eileen and her daughter Kaitlyn. We met at the Sam's Club in Fishkill, NY and from there we went north to our first stop at Athens, NY to take a tour of the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse. Our first stop though was lunch though. We found a deli in Athens and grabbed some sandwiches. When I saw they had a sandwich called the Lighthouse I of course had to try it. Not bad! Parking in Athens was a bit difficult due to their 29th Annual Street Festival yesterday. We had to drive around a bit for a spot but found one not too far from where the boat left to take you out to the lighthouse.

This was the first visit to this light for Eileen and Kaitlyn. They loved the short boat ride out to the light. And for me, it was nice to see the light again after 3 years. The new information panels in the rooms were a great addition. It was a great day to visit. Beautiful blue skies with nice puffy clouds and the temperature was just right - not too cold, not too hot. After our visit at the lighthouse we of course had to get our fix of Hudson-Athens lighthouse patches, pins, keychains and shirts. We also walked around a bit to check out the street festival.

From there we didn't have any further plans so we started to head on home. However, once we saw the road signs for Saugerties we Eileen and I both thought, hey why not stop? Neither of us had been inside of the lighthouse before so we thought we'd take the chance while we could. After taking a few wrong turns in Saugerties we finally found the lighthouse. Along the trail we kept busy shooting photos of the flowers and the sceenery along the way.

Finally we came upon the lighthouse and got our own little tour of the house. I think Eileen and I are ready to sign up for weekend stay out there we loved it so much! And again, more lighthouse pins after the tour was over.

While out behind the lighthouse the local police boat came up and gave all the kids visiting their own Sheriff's badge. Kaitlyn was really into that now that she is a junior deputy of Saugerties. Our last stop was a diner just before we got back on the highway to go home.

Shirin