Quote:
Originally posted by wvlights0:
We will be there for 7 to 9 days and we can both drive a stick, but I'm not sure how long its been for my sister. We had thought Northern Ireland would probably be best to stay out of. I was leery of a "road trip" in a different country, but you make it sound possible. How often was language a problem? Our trip won't be till 2010, so who knows what the rates will be then. I have no idea what the Book of Kells is, I'll have to check it out. We both have some tour books coming, and an atlas. Thanks, Dennis.
7-9 days will give you plenty of time to get a nice feel of Ireland. You'll have time to spend 2-3 days in Dublin and have plenty of time to explore the country side.

I definitely recommend the self-catering cottage route if you want to have a home base to explore from. You can get a very good deal on the house and it definitely cuts down on the cost of meals.

Driving a stick will save you a bit of cash on that. Since you have plenty of time try and get a bit of practice- especially if it's been awhile since you've driven a stick.

I'm not saying not to be cautious in the driving part. It works best if you have two people- that way one can act as a navigator and the Failsafe. I did Ireland with my brother, his wife and my wife.

We set up some simple driving rules- the ladies sat in the back and could look right, left and backwards but could not look forward or make any comments on the driving.

The guys sat up front with one driving and the other navigating and acting as the failsafe- saying left, Left LEFT ! whenever it was required. Luckily it was not required often. We both adjusted quickly.

The other thing about driving that I would say is a must- a GPS. If you have one already and it can be loaded with the maps of Ireland take it that way you are used to the interface. If you don't have one rent one here and take it or get one with the rental car (the most expensive route) as the road signs can be a bit confusing at times (most are in Gaelic and English) particularly at driving speed.

The Book Of Kells is a manuscript handwritten / painted by Celtic monks around the year 800. It includes the four gospels of the new testament and other items.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Kells

Feel free to ask any questions- either here or directly.

Dennis