Jen, That's where we encountered them the worst also! It was hot and humid with a southerly breeze off Lake Superior. We decided to take the beach trail so that we could see the shipwrecks buried in the sand. Started out and wasn't too bad. Soon we were covered! We of course wore shorts-not knowing about the nasty buggers. We had over 50 at a time covering us. I kept thinking once we got up top that it would be better-WRONG! Of course we were 25 minutes early for the opening of tower tour. The ranger got there and I tried to convince her to let us into the keepers house 15 minutes early-to no avail. I was so bitten up that I couldn't handle it anymore. So-unfortunately I didn't get to climb the tower. I was so bummed out!!! I plan to go back so that I can-at least wiser about them. Split Rock had a few last year when we were there. I have never encountered them on Michigan either. Congratulations to Mary for her climb! I took my grandson(age 4 1/2) last fall to Seul Choix. He had no problem climbing up-loved it up there-but had issues coming down! Was slow going, but he made it down and was SO proud!!! I really must get over there to see Little Sable-your pictures make it look so inviting. Did you by any chance visit Crisp Point when you where up there? I LOVED the setting. Got fantastic pictures-it's so secluded and the shoreline is still so unbelieveably wild and primitive. If I can find someone to scan some of my pictures I will try to post them.

Debbie