The St. Johns Light is not a particularly attractive light, IMHO. Viewing it allowed "checking it off" the list, but it really wasn't all that much to look at. The St. Johns River Light is a more enjoyable to see light, and as I mentioned above, you can see it from the fence. It is very close to the fence, and, as above, it is pretty easy to get a decent pic thru the gate in the fence (there is enough room to shoot an unonstructed pic). For all those red freaks, you will be happy here if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, you can't walk up and touch it, but that is the justification to plan a return trip.

Again going on memory, instead of taking the interstate south from St. Simons take the back road - I think it is hiway 17 and then A1A. This will get you close to Amelia Island (might as well take a quick peek since you are in the neighborhood.....) and then take the ferry across to Jax and you will come out at the corner of the Naval Station, with the SJR light just a block or so away. Then you can be on your way down the road to St. Augie.

Dave