As some of you might remember, Mike and I won last year's (2001) Register to Win contest. We decided to take a tour with the US Lighthouse Society to Maine.

Over the next couple of days, I will be posting pictures and a "small" log. Note pictures have not been touched up...that way everyone knows that I took the picture (there is usually a lean to the towers as Dave points out!!).

We left our house on Friday, October 11th at 10:00 a.m. The weather was terrible and after both flights being delayed, we finally ended up in Portland Maine at 8:00 p.m. It would have been faster to drive, as we ended up sitting in LaGuardia's airport for over 5 1/2 hours.

The next morning it was up early, as breakfast started at 7:00 and we had to be on the bus at 8:00. Our tour guide was Dave Snyder from the lighthouse society. From what we hear, he's a little more lenient on timeframes, but with 40+ people, you want to stay on schedule. On the bus ride to Cape Elizabeth, we found out that the person who won this year's Register to Win contest was also on this tour. Not one of the on-line "connected" collectors.

Our first stop was Cape Elizabeth. This is now a private residence. Our bus driver (who had been doing this tours for several years) actually took the bus up in the private residence ~~ something that the "locals" cringe at ~~ after we took pictures from the "water" side.

Next it was a short ride to Portland Head, where it was arranged with the Coast Guard for us to climb the tower, which doesn't occur very often. The day was cloudy, however, in the distance you could see Ram Ledge Lighthouse.

After everyone had climbed the tower and went through the museum (got my passport stamped), it was back on the bus for the next light.

The next light was Spring Point Ledge. Spring Point is the only Caisson Lighthouse which you can climb. It was a walk across the very uneven breakwater. This lighthouse has gone through some restoration (which is ongoing).

Then it was a quick trip to Portland Head Breakwater ~~ also known as "Bug Light". This summer Bug Light was re-lit. It is one of my favorite lighthouses. I love the uniqueness in the design.

After lunch it was on to Hendricks Head Lighthouse. This is privately owned by the owners of "Russell Atheletics". The bus dropped us off at the end of the "private" road. We didn't actually have permission to trespass (however, we did have last year's letter of permission). So...40 of us walked down the private entrance. To our surprise the lighthouse was actually opened as they were filming some kind of documentary. Now, if you found a lighthouse that was opened, wouldn't you climb it? Well, we did.

Then it was on to Boothbay Harbor where we stopped for a short shopping trip (actually Mike and I had great blueberry ice cream cones). We would be leaving from here tomorrow morning for our cruising trip in the morning.

Then it was on to the Samoset Resort where we would be staying for the next three nights. Our evening speaker was Ted Panyatoff, who is the author of a book on restoration of Rockland Breakwater. Another guest was Courtney Thompson, who has authored several lighthouse books.