Ok, I looked over the route for my trip in July when we will be going to North Carolina to shoot the lighthouses there. I figured that we could do it in 2 days if we hustled. The problem is that the last lighthouse on NC's Outer Banks is 100 or so miles north of Bald Head Island, which is just across the NC/SC state line. So, I decided to go today to shoot Old Baldy so that we won't have to cram with the risk of still getting to Bald Head Island too late to take the ferry.

I like the Tom Tom GPS system, but it was dead wrong on this trip. It had me taking a left off Highway 211, and traveling another 9 miles AWAY from Southport. I realized that this was wrong, and turned around, listening to Tom Tom repeatedly telling me to turn around. I found the ferry on my own.

As I was purchasing my ticket for the ferry, I looked over the water, and saw what looked like...a LIGHTHOUSE??? I couldn't really tell because it was behind a small island. All I could see was the top of it. As the ferry departed, the line of trees thinned, and we passed the island. It was clearly a lighthouse. I asked a deckhand which lighthouse that was. He told me that it was the Oak Island Lighthouse. I knew of this lighthouse! Its the one that looks like an upside down pencil! How could I have forgotten about this one? I even had it MAPPED OUT in my atlas for the NC trip, for the love of Pete! I asked the deckhand how far of a drive it was, and he told me to get back onto 211 on the way out, and make a left on Long Beach Rd. Follow it to the end, and you will run into the lighthouse. Its about 6 miles from 211, and the traffic wasn't that bad. You cross the Cape Fear River too, and if you have the time, you can park, and walk to the top of the bridge and get a beautiful shot of the Cape Fear River, a salt marsh, as well as the lighthouse. I didn't have time to do that though.

Anyway, back to Old Baldy...

The ferry docked, and it is about a 5 minute walk to the lighthouse. I've seen pictures of this light, but you can't really appreciate it until you've seen it in person. Its an odd looking lighthouse. It looks as if they were planning to build it higher, but decided to throw the light on top of it and call it a day. I climbed it. Bad knee and all. The view from the top is spectacular. Bald Head Island as a whole is gorgeous. I'd like to go back there and rent a golf cart to see the whole island when I have more time. You can also see the remains of the old Cape Fear Lighthouse. I didn't get to see that though. Maybe some other time.

And now, without further ado (I was just thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail scene where everyone yells "GET ON WITH IT!!!) Here is a photo of Old Baldy...

Then, it was on to Oak Island. There is an old Civil War era fort there called Ft. Caswell. I didn't get to go there.

And, since I gave my ado for this lighthouse before I talked about Old Baldy, there is no need for more ado.

Oak Island Lighthouse...

Well, that was a fun trip. I set out with the intention of getting one lighthouse, and I got two. Can't ask for a better outing, right?

I will post a few different pics of these 2 lighthouses in the Picture Gallery forum soon.

This space for rent. Inquire within.