The next trip was to Charleston for Morris Island and Sullivan's Island. It was a BEAUTIFUL day...Nice blue sky with cotton candy clouds. We were on the road that takes you to Folly Beach, where you can see the Morris Island Lighthouse. We hadn't been on that road for 20 minutes when out of nowhere, the thickest fog I've ever seen in my life rolled in. We continued anyway, hoping it would roll off. It didn't. We couldnt even see 20 feet into the water.

Here is a photo from Folly Beach that day.

The next stop was Sullivan's Island. The fog had gotten thicker. In fact, you have to cross a suspension bridge to get there. We didn't even know we were on a suspension bridge until the cables were right next to us. We found the lighthouse, but a good picture was impossible, as you can see here:

The fog got thicker. We got lost leaving Sullivan's Island. We drove around the island for about 40 minutes. At one point, we drove by the lighthouse again. Finally, I saw a hurricane evacuation route sign. We followed the signs off the island. NOTE! There is a gas station at the intersection when you get onto the island. You have to make a right turn to get to the lighthouse. They do not have public restrooms.

Next trip was this past Valentines Day. We decided to take 2 days, and get St. Simons, St. Augustine, and a second attempt at Morris and Sullivan's.

The first stop was St. Simons. It was about 35-40 degrees that day. We got there, and I noticed that there was a jetty. I can't resist getting a jetty and a lighthouse in the same picture. I have photos of Tybee, Morris, and Sullivan's with jettys. However, when we got there, it was high tide. The water came right up to the jetty. I was looking at the jetty and back at the lighthouse. Megan knew what I was thinking, and advised against it. I nodded, and went looking for other angles. A statue of a whale about 50 yards away from the lighthouse caught her eye, so she went to look at it. There was my chance. I sat down, and took off my socks and shoes, and rolled up my pants legs. As I was walking down the small boardwalk there, a couple who had heard the exchange between Megan and I looked at me and laughed. "She's going to kill you, you know," the guy said. I just laughed, and walked down the steps into the FREEZING COLD water. I got the pictures, but Megan got back before I got out of the water. I got the 'Don't cry to me if you get sick' speech. My feet were numb, and I mentioned that to her, and she told me that she didnt want to hear it.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the St. Simons Lighthouse...

Next stop, St. Augustine. I had this false notion that the Tybee Lighthouse was one of the tallest lighthouses in the country. We climbed St. Augustine, and realized that St. Augustine is taller than Tybee...which has become an inside joke. WHen I said that I couldn't believe that it was 10 feet taller than Tybee, Megan laughed, and started joking with me about it. Now, everything from her cats to other lighthouses are judged based on Tybee's size. I'm sure that if we see the Empire State Building, one of us will say "Hey, you know that is taller than Tybee."

Note about St. Augustine...It is very hard to get an unobstructed photo of the lighthouse unless you do a vertical photo.

Next day...Morris Island and Sullivan's Island. We couldn't believe that Morris was RIGHT THERE and due to the fog before, we couldnt even see an outline of it.

This picture of the Morris Island Lighthouse has a crane next to it. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep that lighthouse up. The photo shows that the lighthouse is leaning. More power to them. It is such a beautiful light.This photo also has Sullivan's in the background...The Morris Light is also taller than Tybee.

And, here is the Sullivan's Island Lighthouse...

I forgot...Here is a photo of the Savannah Harbor Light. We saw it on the way to Ft. Pulaski/Cockspur/Tybee

To be continued....

This space for rent. Inquire within.