Joanne, I can appreciate your fear of heights - I am an acrophobic and cannot tell you how many lighthouses I have attempted to climb only to chicken out 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up! I actually made it up 2/3 of St Augustine before freaking out and had to sit on a bench at one of the landings trying to get up my courage to go the rest of the way. I sat with my back resting against the thick brick walls and suddenly (despite the fact I KNEW the walls were VERY thick) I felt like if I kept leaning against the wall that particluar section would suddenly crack and I would fall through it! An irrational fear for sure, but fear nonetheless. I headed to the stairs and hurried down as fast as i could safely go and had to be content with a view from the bottom. Still an awesome sight! The only consolation was that I was the only member of the family that did not have sore thigh muscles from the climb the next morning!
I HAVE climbed Hatteras Light but only because I hookedmy fingers into my husband's belt and kept my eyes on his cute butt the whole way up!!

Deb

[This message has been edited by Deb Weissler (edited 05-02-2000).]