Well, I did it. I rented a car for the day and I went "Lighthousing". I visited my first lighthouse today. I went to St. Augustine. Of course, I made a turn and went the wrong way. So when I corrected my mistake, I was sure I was going to go in the wrong direction again. I made a right turn onto A1A thinking I should have turned left, and there, right in front of me I saw the lighthouse. I gasped when I saw it. I was a good mile away and it appeared huge. I had no idea how tall it is. They're building a house next to the keeper's quarters for the store. I think they want to remove it from the museum. The grounds were just lovely. They have a pail that replicates the bucket of oil the keeper had to carry to the lantern room. The pail weighed 30lbs. I was not easy to lift never mind carrying approximately 14 stories up.

I have to admit though, that I did not climb the tower. If I did, I'd still be there. I knew I would never make it down, (fear of heights). Looking up the spiral staircase was enough to make me sweat.

What surprised me most was how cool and comfortable the lighthouse and keepers quarters were. The tower had the windows open and what a breeze came in. It was very hot outide, but wonderful inside.

On the way home, I made another stop - I went to Ponce Inlet. Again, it's a breathtaking sight when you turn down a road and see the lighthouse in the distance. It's a beauty. I would have attempted trying to climb that one, but when I got there it was closed. I was only able to photograph it.

I hope the pictures come out well so I can post a few.

Joanne

P.S. The property located right next to the lighthouse is for sale if anyone is interested. How would you like to have Ponce de Leon lighthouse in your backyard?

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 04-29-2000).]