On a slightly different tack, if/while you're in Astoria stop by the Columbia Maritime Museum and see the Coloumbia Lightship (not the AB model, but its replacement). They also have the bouy that replaced the ship next to it. As a weather note, the last time I was in OR it would be sunny and 90 in Portland and down the Interstate while over on the coast it barely would get to 60 while foggy or drizzly. The Coast Range does that. Cape Meares is easy access and you can see Tillamook fairly well from Ecola State Park, both from the cliffs and the beach.

DO NOT miss going to the the Tillamook Cheese Factory, EVER. Watch the cheese get made, eat the samples, take some home. Stop in the ice cream shop (all made there), watch the cones be hand made and sample some of the best you'll ever eat.

Hecate Head is uphill but no strain. I figure if an over 50 guy with a Teflon diapgragm says no strain, you should be okay.

I stayed at McCord AFB the last time I was there and some near by lights, all easy access, are Brown's Point and Dofflemire in Tacoma and Olympia. Up the east side of the Oympic Peneinsula are Point No Point and Skunk Bay. The access (limited) to Skunk Bay is very easy to drive by and miss. Further up the bay is Marrowstone in some park who's name I forget. Pt Wilson's in Ft Worden (An Officer and a Gentleman fame) in Port Townsend, easy to get to, and you can see it, Admiralty Head, and Marrowstone, all distantly from the Port Townsend-Whidbey Island ferry. Stop in Port Townsend for lunch.

Pt Robinson's another ferry ride to Vasnon Island in Seattle and a wandering drive to reach but a flat walk after you park. Look for the Dale's dolphins that look like very small orcas. On the south side of Seattle is Alki Point which is usually close this time of the year and otherwise hard to se from the street. West End is in Discovery Park on the north side of downtown Seattle. It's a duplicate of Point No Point but in a great location next to the sewage treatment plant (no odor), with a really nice view of the sound. Stop at the park visitor center to get a parking pass for the light. They're only for people with handicaps or medical conditions, I think you'd qualify, I did.

Mulkiteo's always good. It's easy to get the ferry in the background since it's right at the landing.

While in Seattle, go to the Wooden Boat Museum (free). The Lightship Swiftsure is docked next door with a good view from the Museum.

Bob, just plain Bob