That's funny you say that because my local Lighthouse Gift Store and Harbour Lights dealer asked me that question! I have made numerous trips to the above listed lighthouses. If you would like any more specific directions, ideas on places to eat in Door County, or would like to know other interesting sites in Door County besides lighthouses (yes there are places other than lighthouses that are interesting), let me know. I was trying to keep the above posts brief.

There are many good places to stay in Door County. The web sites listed above will let you search for some. I usually stay in the Fish Creek/Ephraim/Sister Bay area. That way you are halfway up the peninsula and can drive up or down the peninsula as needed. Many people new to Door County stay in Sturgeon Bay which makes for a long drive every day. I am also familiar with some difficult to find "nice but economical" places to stay and eat. (There are no fast food chains north of Sturgeon Bay) The Green Bay (Green Bay of Lake Michigan) side of the peninsula is the most popular side to stay on. This is the side with many small villages with beautiful scenic harbors.

I will warn you ahead of time that the Lake Michigan water level is 2 to 3 below normal level, so some of the harbors have very low water levels. What this means though, is that you can venture out much farther along the rocky shores that are usually under water for bluff viewing and lighthouse photo taking. I also found some very nice fossils in rocks due to low water levels.

Have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Murphy (edited 07-11-2000).]

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)