It is unquestionable that companies need to make wise and productive business decisions. The company may need to expand but not at the expense of their Harbour Lights division! Most collectors of these lights started purchasing them because of their historical authenticity. I, for one, have never purchased Thomas Kincaide or other such products. Figurines based on fantasy, while lovely in many instances, are just not something I would buy. However, there is a tremendous market for them.

No one questions the genius of David Winter. Most of us are well aware that he is world famous for his work and has very justly received many, many awards for that. But which audience is HL trying to capture? I'm not so sure that there are many David Winter collectors still around, although there are definitely many collectors of "whimsy". As such, the piece is extraordinarily beautiful, but I agree with Margret when she says it belongs in a "Fictional Lights" series. It will probably sell very well - but will the typical HL collector buy?

As for autoship, since it is not the same type of product, can it really be a part of the collection? If it doesn't "fit" in with the rest of the HL line, then, IMO, it's not part of the collection. I certainly would not feel that my collection is incomplete because this piece is missing.

I will continue to collect the historically authentic pieces, but I just can't purchase "fantasy" creations. And has anyone noticed the size of this piece?! Many of us who have been collecting for years have been leaning toward production of smaller pieces because we are running out of space. This piece will not fit in my collection for more than one reason.

Don't we just love the fact that there is freedom of speech on the forums?! Where would we be if we couldn't express our humble - and not so humble - opinions! :p

beachcomber