Having read thru these posts this morning I have been trying to find a way to verbalize my thoughts. Hasn’t been easy as this is a somewhat complex issue, one that I wonder if some are taking way too seriously? I am not trying to “defend” HL as I don’t think they need to be defended. They have made what I would have to believe is a well thought out business decision to try something different, try to reach a new and different market. We may not agree with this decision, but it is a chance that HL is willing to take. Maybe dealers have asked for a piece such as this. Perhaps it won’t go over well with the dealers. Only time will tell. Kind of brings to mind the old saying “no guts, no glory” (actually there is another saying that is probably more accurate, just not appropriate for this setting….).

While most of those posting in this thread are avid HL collectors we do not by any stretch of the imagination represent the majority of collectors of the line. While this piece may not be for me maybe it wasn’t aimed at me. What I am trying to say is that have we overlooked the possible intent of this piece?

• HL and David Winter have always had close ties. Many HL collectors migrated from being DW collectors, and probably still do have a tie to that group.
• HL would not be doing its job if it were not always trying to find new markets, new collectors.
• This piece is a whimsical fantasy light. It appears to be just what you would expect to see from HL in that it appears to be a well sculpted and detailed piece.

We see ourselves as “purists” of lighthouse collecting, admiring HL for doing its best to produce accurate and detailed models of lighthouses. Nothing wrong with this. For the most part I think they have hit the target quite well.

This piece may not do anything for me, may not be destined for my collection. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t think HL aimed this piece at my collection. I think they took a calculated risk to try to expand their base of customers and collectors. Give them that opportunity.

I don’t have any inside information on why this piece was done, nor would I expect to have been consulted. I do personally believe HL is trying to find a way to expand its base and is going to try new things. I may not always agree with what is done, but I do try to step back and look at it objectively not emotionally.