1. A. One reunion, with no limits on how many can attend. It does NOT have to be a herded or crowded affair, if done properly and planned in a slightly different manner: it needs to be longer--events could start on Friday morning and go through Sunday. That would give more time and space to accomplish the activities. I would like to see a rotating schedule of trips, programs, demonstrations, whatever, meaning putting more serious content into a reunion to match the FUN. Have several seminars or speakers over the weekend, who make their presentations two or three times. While some are attending programs, others are off on trips. The next day those who were on trips get to attend the programs and those others do the trips. Cycle it two or three times depending on the attendance registered. There are enough "experts" within our group who are qualified to put on a program; and there are lighthouse historians, authors, photographers, preservationists who could be invited to put on programs. If a big convention center was used instead of a hotel, we could all meet together in the evenings and eat together and have the usual fun entertainment by Bill, etc.

I think most members would prefer staying in various priced motels to meet individual price budgets, rather than one big and expensive hotel. That in itself would open up more options for cities or areas to choose from for any HL Reunion.

HL should try to enlist the counsel and help of some of its collectors who have themselves attended or even worked in the planning of such a convention as I have described. My husband and I have attended model RR conventions of 3000 people under such a plan, with 40 or more half day trips and dozens of programs that repeated. There was no crowding or herding; everyone got to see and attend everything they wished; and there was still plenty of time in between for meeting friends in "social rooms" set up, at the silent auction room, at the model display room; at luncheons and the big dinner for all. You could pick and choose what you wanted to go on, and pay for what you chose to do (pick how many trips you wanted to go on, which meals you wanted to attend, plus the flat registration fee). This basic idea could be adapted for a larger HL gathering. We see the same basic plan each year at a 3 day photo weekend of 1800 here in MA.

2. There will not be two or three separate reunions. HL likes sponaneity; they would not like to have to follow a plan two times over. It might be different if collectors were doing a good part of the onsite work, but this is too much to expect of any company's own staff. They still have a business to run and be present in CA.

2. C. One sculpture, something more generic: a fresnel lens or statue. And only ONE per registered FAMILY, not one per registered person. This right away would cut down on bringing all the kids and in-laws to go home with multiple pieces for a big secondary market killing. Give an option for any society member to be able to buy this piece, whether they were able to attend or not. It would be limited to society members only. This would take the focus off acquiring multiples for profit later; and put the emphasis where it should be -- a gathering for fun of any and all society collectors who wish to attend and enjoy their HOBBY and seeing each other in person.

3. C. One reunion and let any society member attend. If the "large families and secondary market issues" are eliminated, then the attendance numbers will automatically adjust and become manageable.

Repeat trips and programs several times, so all can do everything. Forget the big breakfast and concentrate on a big enough room for the dinners/entertainment.

4. D. Limit reservations to 2 per family. Keep it a real collectors get-together. Children, if they come along, should not be included at any limited seating program, trip, or the big dinner. This denies some true collectors from being able to attend. Hopefully HL will have their reunion at a time when children are in school. I think this should be an adult-focused event.

5. B. One reunion, with no limit on attendance. Use a selection of motels with varying price ranges; and a large convention center so that all programs and meals will fit.

6. I just really hope that HL does NOT always have the reunion on the coastal areas only or in the same sites. There needs to be a rotation each year, so that members over-all get a fair break in not making the same members always having to travel a long distance, especially those who come by car and would like to work a vacation around the reunion weekend. The interior states like WI, MI, NY Hudson should also host the reunion in their turn. Spread it all around so that we get to see lights in all regions eventually. If one huge hotel center is not needed, and rather multiple motels and a "convention type center" instead, the choices open up and multiply.

7. Not on your list. I would like to see more chances and actual physical space allotted for collectors and wackos to socialize, meet, and talk etc. It would be nice if HL would give "us all" a room or two where: wackos could meet each other; where each HL club could set up a table to describe its activiites and recruit members; to have a member silent auction; or a bigger lighthouse photo display or other member-made craft displays of lighthouse subject matter.

And I would like to see room-hopping, which other collectible conventions have, where members can go to those rooms posted as "open" for buying or swapping HL pieces privately. These activities would complement the official HL schedule of events and round out a full 3 day weekend.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper